Thursday, March 18, 2010

Alex's Birthday

With all our craziness last week, I am just know getting a chance to go through all our birthday pictures! We had a lot of fun and didn't end up with a lot of great pictures but I wanted to share them anyway. I think that sometimes it is important to enjoy the moments and not worry about pictures.....but sometimes I wish I could hire someone to take pictures for us. That way we can enjoy what is going on and still get great pictures (not that that is going to happen..... lol).


Back to Alex's parties.....We had a small party with his Parent's Day Out class to celebrate his birthday as well as his last day there. The party theme was Blue's Clues. I made Rice Crispie paw prints (for "clues") and we brought a balloon and goody bag for each kid.

All the kids playing with their goody bags!



Alex eating his "clue"


A clue, a clue.....


He had been playing with his balloon. We obviously didn't get many pictures where he was actually looking at the camera!! :)


This is me attempting to get Alex to pass out the treats to his friends......not as successful as I would have hoped for!! He just wanted to play with his.....not quite to that understanding yet.






He is looking at the camera...... :)


Last week his class was talking about animals so Ms. Ashley brought one of her rabbits. The kids all loved getting to play with it. Alex had to be remind to use gentle touches... but other than that he really enjoyed it!! It was a nice treat for the party and a good distraction for Alex so we could leave without him getting upset!!



Now, on to the big party.....except that it wasn't actually all that big! It was just a family party and some of Cory's family was out of town so they couldn't be there. We missed you Aunt Karla and Uncle Hammond....and kids (Abigail was able to make it which made Hayley very happy that both her cousins were there).

We continued the Blue's Clues theme......and I made the cake. I have been trying to get a little better with the cake decorating.....I am way to much of a perfectionist to do stuff like this. I hate when I mess up one little thing and I tend to focus on all the things that are wrong with it. Well, there are plenty of things wrong with this cake.....but I am going to choose not to worry about it!! I looks like Blue and Alex was pleased.....that is all that matters!!

I will say that the colors were much darker and prettier in person.....



What's up there?!?!


Well, it is a HUGE balloon in the shape of Blues' head, of course!!


OK....this is not a cute picture at all....but I was attempting to get a picture of Alex AND the cake. Well, of course all Alex wanted to do was touch the cake (notice poppa holding his hand down). So....this was the only picture we were able to get.....and for the record, Alex did successfully poke Blue right in the eye before we could get the cake back on the table!

Look at my big three year old!!


Opening Presents:
I think one of his favorite gifts was an Elmo Mailbox. It is a mailbox (which Alex's loves...from Blue's Clues) that is also a shape sorter (and he can match all the shapes and can even name a few!!)....and it has ELMO. What more could he ask for!! Thank you Aunt Lori, Uncle Johnny, Garrett and Gracie!!


Another favorite gift was a stuffed "Bob the tomato" (from Veggie Tales).


When I decided to start planning his party about two months ago (trying to make sure that I had it all under control so I was running around crazy the week before) the only "character" that he showed any interest in was Blue. So, I decided to go all out with the Blue's Clues theme.

At that point, Alex was still not real interested in much around him. He played but his attention span was very short and he didn't really have anything that was his favorite. In the last two months, he has become very attached to Elmo and Bob (the tomato). Almost in an over the top kind of way......as in, he asks to watch them on the TV....all the time!! It is cute though because he goes through all three of them as he is asking.....in hopes that we will say yes to at least one of them.....he say....."bu ca ca ca...... melmo.......bob" (actually spelling how he says Blue's Clues was harder than I thought it would be!!).

What I am trying to say is that we are so happy that he is begging us to watch not one but three different shows (even though he gets really mad when we tell him no). We are so happy that he likes to do puzzles (the shapes one is his favorite). We are so happy that he is sitting while we read him a book. And even more so, we are so happy that he is asking to do all of these things and more. God is Good!!

We had a great time celebrating his birthday!! I can't even imagine what I will be able to report on his 4th birthday.....but I can't think about that right now....I am still adjusting to the fact that my youngest child is THREE!!







4 comments:

  1. Sorry.....I thought the only job requirement for taking pictures was "to not chop off peoples heads like Nana does". I will do better.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer- the cake is amazing!!!! Looked flawless to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...didn't mean to start a big debate about the pictures!!

    Cory - I think your pictures are great!! You can't help it if the subjects you are photographing don't cooperate. ;)

    Mom - I didn't use all of your pictures....so it is debatable as to how many the heads were cut off in. BUT you did take some good pictures. I think you are getting better.....but you do get LOTS of practice so I would hope that you are improving!! :)

    Krista - Thank you......I will leave it at that ;)

    ReplyDelete