Sunday, March 21, 2010

Glasses

Hayden has glasses....

Honestly, I have been waiting for the time when he needed them. I expect that at least 2 of our 3 kids will have to get glasses at some point (if not all three of them). I got my glasses when I was in 3rd grade. Only after begging my mom for a long time.....in her defense, she thought I wanted to wear glasses because my sister had them. But it turns out that I needed them.....and my eyes might have even been worse than Julie's!

I wondered about Hayden for awhile but he said he could see and he passed the vision test at the school in first grade. Well, his teacher suspected it as well and so we had the school test him again. He failed that test and so we went to the eye doctor.

I wondered how Hayden would feel about wearing glasses. When we talked about it he asked me if people would make fun of him.......my answer went something like this....

Maybe......but kids make fun of other kids for all kinds of reasons....like, the kind of clothes they wear, the backpack they have, how tall they are, how short they are, how big or little they are, how well they read, etc. No matter if someone makes fun of us or not, we have to be confident in who God made us to be and not worry about what others say!

He seemed to be OK with that answer and I was actually thinking I did a decent job of handling that question by being honest but also taking the focus to God and what HE thinks of us and not what people think of us.......then I told Cory about our conversation......he said "great....now he is going to be worried that kids are going make fun of him for all those things!"

He was just kidding with me....because that is what he does!! He enjoys giving me a hard time (most of the time he makes me laugh though!!).

So, since Hayden has had his glasses he has not had any issues with kids making fun of him (that I know of). Lots of people noticed that he has glasses and make comments. I think that is hard for him to adjust to....not knowing how to respond to that attention. But he is doing well!

I think he is excited that he can actually see now!! The morning after we got the glasses he was in the bathroom looking in the mirror (I think he was supposed to be brushing his teeth but he tends to get distracted). He came into my room and said, "I have a lot of freckles." He hadn't been able to see his freckles......that's how bad his vision is!!! Again, not a big surprise to me because I was the same way. The eye doctor explained it this way.....he didn't know he couldn't see. It is not like he woke up one day and suddenly couldn't see, it was a gradual change.

We are very thankful that Hayden can see with the help of his camo framed glasses (which he thinks are pretty cool!!).

1 comment:

  1. I love him and that SMILE!!! And yes your eyes were a lot worse then Julies :(
    Awesome talk you had with him!! Has Hayley wanted glasses yet? LOL

    ReplyDelete